Saturday, June 7, 2008

Life as it was

Our day rithm has changed a lot over the past months. This is how it looked like until easter of this year:

Each morning I go downstairs to wake up Elmo. I make sure I'm all ready for work myself, because once he's up, there is no more time left for anything else. He is hardly awake and when he is, he is often angry because he just isn't ready for the day yet.



He eats oatmeal for breakfast - always from the same bowl, and always with the same blue spoon. Don't you dare serve him anything else !




Getting dressed is the hardest. He loves his pyjamas and you need to negotiate with him to convince him to get changed - offering chocolate in the negotiation will often do it - or else there is always the "hard way".




Then I drop him off at the "Kindervilla". He's always very kind to me when we are in the car, but when we get near the kindervilla he gets suspicious. Once inside he yells that he wants to go to Brussels (because that is the place to be in his imagination, and his Meter Jaja lives there, so it must be paradise to him). The last 4 weeks that he went to the kindervilla, he cried as he just didn't want to stay there.



The next hour and a half I spend in traffic jams.



I get home around seven after a hard days work, and we eat together and talk about the day. Elmo has the coolest way to sit in his chair - just check out how he sits back with his arm over the edge.




At ten PM Elmo is still jumping around while Saskia and I struggle to stay awake. The living room is by then transformed into a battlefield full of toys.



Then he drinks his bottle of milk ..




And after a last bedtime story (or several of them), I get into bed with him until he falls asleep. I wake up in the middle of the night and find my way to my own bed. Often he calls me in the night, so I more or less spend my sleeping time in 2 different beds.





No comments: