Saturday, September 5, 2009

Amazing Comics: Hellboy by Mike Mignola


More then 12 years ago there was this guy in my class (animation) who was a great fan of Hellboy. I couldn't understand why - it all seemed too childish to me: skulls and bones, fighting all the time, armory, .. All the same reasons why I don't dig videogames or roleplaying. But when I was on holiday in the US in 2004, I picked up 2 issues to bring them along as a souvenir. I was blown away by the darkness and the cultural references, without even mentioning the astonishing art. In the meanwhile, Hellboy is a popular brand thanks to 2 movies, which in my opinion do not capture the essence of this series. I guess it's about the difference in the experience: the books you savour at your own pace, taking the time you choose. The films they just pass you by and all the glitter and special effects just make the thing more accessible instead of uncapturable.

Anyhow, to the guy in my class - I was wrong, thank you for making me curious.

No comments: